Posting:

Due to the current troll infestation we will be requiring you to sign in to leave a comment. Also, please note that we will be very nice in the regular posts, but we will not be gentle in the Sunday Blaspheme posts. You will be expected to back up any ideas with facts.

I am always happy to answer any questions I can:)

New Rule! Staff reserves the right to cuss you out and post your correspondence if you send us annoying emails.

Best!

Brett

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Comic board dilemma!

Hi all!

I actually need a good answer from you guys. I received some new art boards from DC and to put it frankly they aren't up to snuff. This happens from time to time, so they sent some more, and these are just as bad. I'm having a VERY hard time using them, they smear, they have far more tooth than a smooth board should, it feels like they were never hot pressed. So I need some boards that are up to pro work, smooth for me, white and acid free, and able to take a quill. Any ideas? I'd try Blueline but 20 bucks for 12 boards?!?!? Way to expensive. I used to use this cover stock paper but Norm says it bleeds.

Any ideas?

Best!

Brett

Some sort of announcement about my next project soon. Hopefully next week!

3 comments:

Brett said...

Thanks Feenomite! now I have to find some place that has them in stock!

Best!

Brett

benjonesart said...

I use 500 strathmore plate finish (very smooth) for inking and penciling. I use a very light pencil on it so not sure on the smearing.

usually in stock here http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/11x17st500se1.html

If you get in a crunch let me know man I usually have an extra pad of it hanging around.

Also works well with nib, or at least I haven't had a problem with it.

Brett said...

Hi Ben,

Thanks! But that's kind of pricey, especially with shipping. I went to the local Hobby Lobby and they had pack like Feenomite suggested and then one without the lines (which I actually prefer but Norm doesn't.) SO I picked up both. On was 12 the other 14 but they had a sale so I got them for like 21 bucks. Pretty good boards, better than the ones DC sent. I did find out some rough boards got mixed in with the smooth so that might be the problem. I of course got all rough:/

Best!

Brett