Posting:

Due to the current troll infestation we will be requiring you to sign in to leave a comment. Also, please note that we will be very nice in the regular posts, but we will not be gentle in the Sunday Blaspheme posts. You will be expected to back up any ideas with facts.

I am always happy to answer any questions I can:)

New Rule! Staff reserves the right to cuss you out and post your correspondence if you send us annoying emails.

Best!

Brett

Monday, March 31, 2008

We're not as special as you think...

Check this out!



I think we're REALLY LUCKY that we managed to get as smart as we did so quickly. These guys might have been able to give us a run for our money!

I know they were trained to paint, but they have to have some sort of abstract thought to do this and the control is amazing! Plus they can recognize themselves in a mirror like the great apes.

Best,

Brett

8 comments:

Mountaineer_Elf said...

That's amazing! I've seen animals paint before...but paint a picture of themselves?! YOu're right...even though it's a trained or learned thing, it's still amazing.

-Erin

Cobra X said...

WTF!?!? That's awsome...Thanks for posting that cause I probably would have never seen that if you hadden't.

Brett said...

No problem, if I think it's interesting or fun I'll post it. Everyone should this!

I'll never look at elephants the same way after this!

Best,

Brett

Mountaineer_Elf said...

Man! Take a look at this one! The elephant that makes the triangles of color...without overlapping, and the edges are more or less straight lines. Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTBmgxDZIVE&feature=related

Anonymous said...

my thoughts are you can only train someone or something so much. are artists not trained in some manner as well? i think for an elephant he did a good job.

frank

Anonymous said...

I'd like to confirm this video. I've actually seen elephants paint on a canvas first hand! Don't have second opinions, because I've honestly seen this happen before. Mind you, NOT on such a grand scale as this!

Parrots talk.
Mice solve mazes.
Elephants paint.

Anymore?

-Raid

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I think I found a whole new market for my how to draw books.

-Steve

Brett said...

Raid,

Gorillas and chimp male will preform oral sex on the females. Chimps will hunt in groups, they will spear bushbabies in trees for food, they will dig holes with sticks to get to termites.

Oh and elephants never forget;)

Best,

Brett