Posting:

Due to the current troll infestation we will be requiring you to sign in to leave a comment. Also, please note that we will be very nice in the regular posts, but we will not be gentle in the Sunday Blaspheme posts. You will be expected to back up any ideas with facts.

I am always happy to answer any questions I can:)

New Rule! Staff reserves the right to cuss you out and post your correspondence if you send us annoying emails.

Best!

Brett

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Wherein I Receive a Missive from the Ministry of Love, or Welcome Saluki People, Part II

Well, it's been a bit now, and my friends and minions have had no new messages to report to me. I guess it is not so fun to talk behind someone's back when you know it's going to get back to the subject.

I did receive a rather disturbing e-mail. I won't reproduce it because it was a private e-mail and that would be rude, not to mention a violating of statutory copyright, but the basic gist was this:
  • We're watching you, because we've assumed you're an idiot that has no clue what they're doing in regards to whelping and raising a litter, even though we know nothing about you and didn't actually confirm our suspicions. We'll be waiting patiently for you to screw up.
  • We don't like the breeders you got some of your dogs from. They aren't on the Cool People list.
  • We don't approve of cross-breeding. Cross-breeding is bad, bad, bad. People who crossbreed aren't on the Cool People list.
  • We don't like people who breed more than one litter a year. Any more than that, you're right off the Cool People list. The fewer litters over your lifetime, the better!
  • Oh yeah, and we're watching you. Like Big Brother. (Yes, this person actually used the term 'Big Brother.')
Looks like I'm never going to make the Cool People list, what with two litters in a year, and the crossbreeds and all. My heart, it breaks. I did so want to get the t-shirt.

Now, use of the royal We aside (and yes, even though it wasn't capitalized, you could hear the capitals anyways), I'm pretty sure that this person was not speaking for the entirety of Salukidom. Until this little incident, the vast majority of Saluki people I've been in contact with have been kind and helpful, and haven't judged us on where our dogs came from, or even indicated any disapproval of my cross-breeding program. Some individuals have been rather fascinated by it.

Anyways, yes, I got a little snarky in my reply. I don't take kindly to being harassed, even in a way that's attempting to be subtle. So, my basic response was:
  • I've had litters before, I'm perfectly capable of doing research and asking questions, and surprise! I'm not an idiot.
  • I don't care.
  • I don't care.
  • I don't care.
  • And, finally, I don't care.
BTW, in Nineteen Eighty-Four (there's an excellent film adaptation with John Hurt if you aren't the literate type), Big Brother is the villain. The bad guy. He's there to keep the proles down, keep them from questioning the status quo, keep'em stupid and docile, so the elite class, the Party, can exploit and control them. Do you really think that's an appropriate analogy?

Oh. Wait. Maybe that is what you're going for, after all. An authoritarian Saluki regime? Doubleplusungood! I'd say something about the Two Minutes Hate, whipping people up into a frenzy, mob mentality and all that, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so let's have a video instead. Go Julia!





Since I have absolutely no intention of entering Room 101, I would like to thank all who sent kind comments, and most especially thank my mentors, in Salukis and other breeds. Watch this space for pictures and updates on the pups! I know you will be (that's a little joke, BTW, for the humor impaired.)

On to Part III!

No comments: